Tuesday, October 25, 2016

22. New art parrrt two

February 28, 2007

This first painting is based on the architecture of the Cape Coast (British) and Elmina (Dutch) casles that I got to see this weekend. The white-washed hallways and arches were ghostly beautiful, such quiet witnesses to all the horrible events that have happened there during the days of the slave trade.

Here are a few pics from the castles so you can see what I mean...


This next drawing reminds me of that old Aha music video where the people are sketchy animations. Anyhoo, this piece turned out so different than how I thought it'd look, but I really like it! It's a drawing of My African Eyes. Because sometimes I can't help but find myself looking at things here with my "spoiled-American-rolling-eyes." But I just have to remind myself when that happens to put on my African eyes, those full of compassion and generosity.

Currently Listening: Rainy Day Music...by The Jayhawks.

No comments:

Post a Comment