Tuesday, October 25, 2016

26. Around the house

March 9th 2007

After being on the road for weeks and weeks now, I appreciate my room here in Accra even more than ever! Sure, our lights have not been working all week because the guys next door have not paid their bill and have made an illegal connection to simply allow our fridges and fans to work. Sure, our tap has been cut off so Kelvin and I hide our own stockpile of water in buckets on our balcony. Sure, there is sometimes a man on the street corner outside on a bullhorn at 4:30 in the morning preaching angrily to the slumbering city. But I truly love waking up in my little getaway-of-a-room and spending each morning with my cup of tea at my desk looking down over the street.

This drawing below captures an instance that happened at that desk, eating M&M's from a care package from my folks. I find it truly amazing sometimes how my mind is always this stable place where I just frolic around to my hearts content, but I can take this body, this vessel, anywhere I want. If that makes sense. If not, just stick to the M&M's.

This is a drawing of my room, drawn from on my bed with my back up against the wall. So that's the mosquito netting at the top of the page, then drawing paper and books on the desk, cards from home and a Ghanaian flag on the clothes line, etc. I really like this drawing, for me it really captures it.
On an earlier day...

It suddenly occured to me that I haven't made a map of Ghana documenting all the places I have visited, so today I decided to remedy this problem. I thought about connecting all the cities with chunky red dotted lines all Indiana Jones 'like, but I prefer this olde world explorer style map instead. So these are where all the places I've mentioned in my blogs before are located...

Oh, here's a picture I took from a little street carnivale in our neighborhood of Osu here in Accra on the 6th of March. This is actually of the back of the stage...

I passed by this bus today in Accra...imagining how on Earth it got here makes me smile to myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment